Find a professional
Whether you have a question or are seeking health advice, contact one of our many professionals. Find >>
Life is Movement
Literally, life is movement. When movement seizes, so does life.
The evidence is more than convincing that human movement improves all aspects of life. As we get healthier through movement, all systems in the body improve.
For example, if we have an ideal amount of movement in our life, which of the following variables would improve?
- Sex Drive
It should be clear that all of these improve with consistent exercise or just getting your body moving.
Movement comes in several forms. The best form is the one you like most. Too much emphasis is placed on minor details in regards to which form of exercise is best.
- Walking, Biking, Running – the basics
- Sex - burns a ton of calories, is functional, and feels good
Simple ways to increase movement:
- Park further away. Not only will you get less door dings, but doing this consistently can actually help people lose around 5 pounds per year.
- Couple or “pair” your activities. For example, if you have a phone call scheduled with a friend or even a casual business call, go for a walk while you talk.
- Schedule to exercise with a friend. Having an appointment and holding someone accountable drastically improves frequency in regards to exercise.
- Get active outdoors by starting a simple garden, creating a landscaping project, or taking the dog for a walk or run.
The ideas could go on forever. I’m sure you’ve thought of a few to add already.
It’s no surprise that the world’s leading life coaches involve movement in every transformational breakthrough. To the body and the brain, there is very little difference between motion and emotion. In other words, feelings or emotions have a physical movement pattern.
Imagine how the body looks when someone is down or depressed. The shoulders are slumped forward, the head is down, breathing is shallow, the facial muscles are tired and relaxed, the eyes are down and timid.
Now, imagine the opposite: somebody who just experienced one of their greatest moments in life. The shoulders are back, chest is up. Breathing is purposeful, facial muscles are alert and active. Eyes look lively and you can just feel the energy.
Just as emotion can create motion, so can motion create emotion. In other words, movement can change your emotions, and therefore your life.
The bottom line is that life is movement. As an exercise professional, I’ve yet to experience a client leaving a personal training session not feeling better than when they came in. Move better, live better.
Daily movement combined with better nutrition, hydration and clean indoor air can really improve the way you feel each day.
More Simple Ideas for Daily Movement
Just BEING ACTIVE is a great start. Here are some ideas to get you going. If you are already doing these and your ready to kick it up a notch click here for some more advanced ideas.
- Take a walk
- Gardening (planting, weeding)
- Raking leaves
- Shoveling snow
- Cleaning (vacuuming, dusting, sweeping)
- Mowing the lawn
- Being active w/ the kids
- Hiking in the woods
- Take the stairs, instead of escalator
- Shoot some hoops
We have given you just few ideas of minor adjustments you can make each day to increase your movement and improve your overall daily health. These activities combined with better nutrition, hydration and clean air can really improve the way you feel each day.